Spam bots, also known as spam or fake accounts, are automated computer programs that can mimic human behavior. They can sign up for your email list, interact with your website, and even open your emails. The problem with bots is that they are not genuine users and can negatively impact your email deliverability.
How to spot bots on your email list?
Here are four ways to spot bots on your email list.
One of the most noticeable signs of bots is irregular behavior. Bots can sign up for your email list in bulk, which can result in a sudden spike in new subscribers. They can also open your emails at odd times or in rapid succession. If you notice this type of behavior, bots may have infiltrated your list.
Unusual names and email addresses
Another way to spot bots is to look for unusual email addresses. Here are some red flags to watch for:
- Names that don't look like real names
- First and last name fields are filled but don't match the email address
- Overly generic names such as John Smith, John Doe
- Exceptionally long addresses, especially those made up solely of alphanumeric characters
- Tweaked versions of legitimate domains, such as @Gmaul instead of @Gmail
- Sudden, frequent sign-ups from foreign domains. If your audience primarily consists of .com addresses and you suddenly see an influx of .co.uk or .ru addresses
High Bounce Rate
A high bounce rate can indicate that a large number of email addresses on your list are invalid. Bots often use fake or temporary email addresses, which can result in a high bounce rate.
Finally, bots are not genuine users and are not likely to engage with your emails. If you notice a large number of subscribers who never open or click on your emails, bots may be present on your list.
What to do about bots on your email list?
Once you've identified that bots are present on your email list, it's important to take action to remove them. Here are the steps to follow to remove them from your Amplified account:
First, export your contact list. You can do so by doing the following:
- From the sidebar menu, select Contacts.
- In the Contacts tab, click the drop-down menu next to the Import Contacts button and select Export Contacts.
- Enter the email address where you would like your file sent.
Edit the CSV or XLSX file
- Remove all the contacts you want to keep. Ensure that the file only comprises the contacts you want to delete.
- In the “Should Delete” column, add TRUE.
- Save the file.
Import the CSV or XLSX file
- Head back to Amplified and re-upload the file.